Zebra & Wildebeest Migration Season Starts in June
Go in search of the thundering herds of the legendary animal migration – the largest in the world! One of the most magical times to visit East Africa is during the Great Migration, when migrating zebra and wildebeest turn the plains of East Africa into a fascinating animal highway.
The Great Migration takes place in the Serengeti region, crossing the borders between Kenya and Tanzania. The legendary event is the largest in the world and sees wildebeest (also known as gnus) move from the southern Serengeti in Tanzania to the Masai Mara reserve in Kenya.
One of the most iconic and memorable experiences in Africa – the zebra & wildebeest migration season begins in June.
Immerse yourself in nature’s breathtaking spectacle, as hundreds of thousands of wildebeest and zebras move from the southern plains to the northern hills after the rainy season in spring – with packs of lions and hyenas lurking, waiting to prey on any weak or young victims!
Highlights of a Wildebeest Migration Adventure
- The Ngorongoro Crater, the so-called “Garden of Eden”, is home to more than 30,000 animals, including the highest density of lions anywhere in Africa, as well as the last black rhinos.
- Walking safari: dotted with baobab trees and boasting lush green river shores, the Tarangire National Park attracts many varieties of wildlife, with up to 2,000 elephants sighted along the river at certain times of the year.
- The famous Serengeti ecosystem not only contains the greatest concentration of game found anywhere on earth but is also the playground of the largest annual animal migration in the world: the Great Migration.
- Find yourself surrounded by the bush – at grass roots level! – as you sleep in comfortable wilderness camps and absorb the sounds of the African night.
- Experience the culture, traditions and lifestyle of the semi-nomadic Masai tribespeople.
- Enjoy scarlet African sunsets over the rich savannah grasslands, see pink flamingos on the shore of lively lakes, or explore the wonder of the Great Rift Valley.
Can’t travel during the Great Migration? In addition to the Kenya & Tanzania Migration Safari, you can choose from many more trips across the two countries – including the multi-activity Kenya and Tanzania Raft, Bike and Hike option, the Wild Animal Encounters in Kenya in support of World Animal Protection, fly-in safaris that maximise your time on the ground, visits to the lesser known National Parks of Amboseli and Tsavo West, as well as its ever-popular Kilimanjaro, Wildlife and Zanzibar adventure, which combines three of Africa’s most sought-after experiences in one single itinerary.
Contact us to chat with one of our adventure travel experts directly. We’d love to plan your next adventure!